Butterflies as Autumn Arrives!

Fun design trick to try, in this video begins August 18th.
I just finished up entering 2 design competitions on Spoonflower.com.  One is with Moda fabric company - Botanical Sketchbook - and the other is 1 yard with 4 different butterfly themed designs in each quarter.  You can see my entry, here, for each contest.
Butterflies by the Yard
Butterflies and Lotus Pods
(the repeating design that caused the next part of this post - a video for you to try it out too!)

Because of the design I wanted to submit, I ran up against a design skill that I don't use much as most of my fabric has been banners, panels, or pillows that fit a fat quarter or yard.  For the butterfly competition, however, I wanted to create a repeating design that was larger than a swatch, but not an entire fat quarter.  In other words, I had to relearn to step-and-repeat a design.  This trick - using only paper and scissors - helps explain the concept of step-and-repeat, or creating a continuously repeating design.  So, I created a video, testing out the trick to show how to create your own wallpaper.

Autumn isn't far away!  See the Autumn Leaf Faery's dress (starting August 22nd) with acorn cap crown and the upcoming Harvest Moon Faery (Sept. 22), here at The Faerie Project page of this blog.